Mother's Day

Mother's Day

Monday, May 14, 2012

Day at the Como Zoo

Saturday morning we got ourselves together and headed off to the Como Zoo in MN.  For the drive we listened to Winnie the Pooh on CD.  It's a small zoo, which is about all I can handle with a 5week old baby in tow.  First thing we spotted was the flamingos.  That pink was stunning. 
At this point I realised I forgot Harm's hat so we picked up one in the gift shop.  It was a bit too big but that worked out just fine.  He slept through the whole thing.
They have cute photo op type spots at the zoo.  It was a really busy day at the zoo so we only did one, the tortoise.
We saw bears, a lion, giraffes, zebras, very sleepy sea lions, and Onaleigh's favorite a gorilla.  We found our hands full so we didn't take many animal pics.
The kids had fun and so did I.
Time was running short so we made our way to Keith's favorite animals, the primates.  Chance got a kick out of the orangutans.  One had a plastic cup that a child must have thrown into their area.  Chance thought the monkey stole it.  He laughed and laughed.  Sadly the new gorilla forest habitat is still under construction so the gorillas were still in their small area.  I am so looking forward to them having more space.  I have always been bothered by gorillas in the zoo.  They look so human like that I hate that they are penned up.  Onaleigh was taken back by them.  She practically jumped out of her stroller when she saw them.  She watched and watched them.  In fact she didn't want to leave.  Had the zoo not been closing I would have let her stay till she was ready to move on.  So on the run we made it to the gift shop.  Chance got marbles, Onaleigh got a necklace, and Braxton got these little flashlights that go on your fingers.  I picked out a post card and a polar bear coin for my "smash book"(it's like an old school scrapbook).  We all made those souvenir penny things.  And off we went to the park outside the zoo.  The kids ran off the last of their energy and we took some pictures.





The weather was perfect.  I got to snuggle little Harm and hold hands with Braxton.  Chance got to check off his zoo trip in his Cub Scout book.  Onaleigh's wish to see a Hippo didn't happen.  We will be planning a trip to a zoo that has them sometime this summer.  I felt so blessed to have such a lovely day with my family.

No comments: